The Tower Hill School Developmental Kindergarten is geared toward those children who are either age eligible for public school Kindergarten or just miss the cut off date for their home districts. It is geared toward children who are developmentally ready for a Kindergarten setting yet would benefit from another year of maturing physically, cognitively, emotionally and socially in a smaller, more contained and nurturing environment than the traditional public school kindergarten classroom. Students who attend Tower Hill School for Developmental Kindergarten go on to attend either public school Kindergarten or 1st grade the following year.
- Curriculum is integrated across all disciplines. Reading, creative writing, grammar, math, science, social studies, art, music, cooking and gardening are blended together to create thematic units.
- Curriculum is traditional in its emphasis on skill development in reading, writing and mathematics.
- Reading is taught through phonological awareness.
- Reading strategies include integrated-phonics/skill-based instruction in combination with literature reading/discussion and writing.
- Creative writing techniques are taught.
- Spelling, grammar and vocabulary are emphasized.
- Teacher the “Building Block Skills” of listening, study, communications and problem solving are part of every-day school life.
- “Learning by doing” teaching strategies are used.
- Music, art, tablet time, cooking, library, gym and It’s OK to Be Different round out our strong academic program.
- Optional Kindergarten Enrichment Program twice a week.
- Frequent special events and field trips which enhance classroom learning.
- Children must be 5 by November 30th. Children with birthdays in December will be considered on a case by case basis.