Kindergarten students must meet the cutoff age of their home district. The Tower Hill School Kindergarten program meets all the qualifications as a licensed New Jersey Kindergarten. The program is geared toward those students who would benefit from another year of maturing physically, cognitively, emotionally and socially in a smaller, more contained and nurturing environment. Students who attend Tower Hill School for Kindergarten go on to attend public school Kindergarten and 1st grade the following year.
Kindergarten curriculum highlights:
- Curriculum is integrated across all disciplines. Reading, creative writing, grammar, math, science, social studies, art, music, cooking and gardening are blended together to create thematic units.
- Curriculum is traditional in its emphasis on skill development in reading, writing and mathematics.
- Reading is taught through phonological awareness.
- Reading strategies include integrated-phonics/skill-based instruction in combination with literature reading/discussion and writing.
- Creative writing techniques are taught.
- Spelling, grammar and vocabulary are emphasized.
- Teacher the “Building Block Skills” of listening, study, communications and problem solving are part of every-day school life.
- “Learning by doing” teaching strategies are used.
- Music, art, computer time, cooking, library, gym and It’s OK to Be Different round out our strong academic program.